Monday, September 16, 2013

Surviving Siruma: Things To Do in Siruma

This is the fourth part of my 10-months adventure in Siruma, Camarines Sur.

So, what can you do in Siruma during the times when there are no fiestas? Surprisingly, still a lot, even though it’s an isolated place with no “gimmick” areas and malls. If you’re not used to a simple, provincial life, you would probably get bored. But, if like me, you prefer the quiet, peaceful life away from the city, then you'll enjoy these activities featured in here.

OTHER THINGS TO DO IN SIRUMA:

1. Lounging in the Hammock (Duyan) under a tree - best done with a book in hand and some chips.

This is the life!


2. Karaoke/Videoke - this is basically the favorite past time of the people in Siruma. Except when there's a brownout. Videoke machine here costs 1php/song! Also, it's located along the beach so if you get tired of singing, then do some swimming!

Sing your hearts out!


3. Sleep all day - best done during the rainy seasons and if there's a brownout because you don't have anything else to do.
My very comfortable bed


4. Explore the neighboring barangays and look out for weird, unique animals

A monkey eating a lollipop


Poor doggy


5. Play with weird, squishy animals in the beach
Upside down jellyfish


According to her, this are the eggs of the jellyfish


Giant squid. And yes, you could eat this.


Giant jellyfishes


6. Collect seashells found along the shore - I did this and by the end of my 10 months, I had like 3 plastic full of shells. Now, I don't know where to place them haha.

Shells galore


7. Bond with the local people - In my case, since I am their doctor, I get to do this a lot especially if they have their consultation. The people of Siruma are very, very nice. Some has a hard time speaking Tagalog, but they try just to talk to me. They would really make you feel welcome and it was just a fulfilling thing for me to be able to help these people.

Seeing patients


Basically, just have a good time! This is the time where you could go back to your roots, commune with nature, leave all the gadget-y, modern city times, and just have a simple, fun life. So, just have fun!


Enjoying squishy animals


Enjoying swimming at the beach


Me and my Siruma buddies


After eating squid


Up next, foods to eat in Siruma!

Read more:
Surviving Siruma: An Introduction To An Unknown Island
Surviving Surima: Where to Stay and Places to Visit
Surviving Siruma: The Town Fiestas
Surviving Siruma: Food Tripping Galore
Surviving Siruma: A Summary

No comments:

Post a Comment